Quay Road, Devoran, Truro, TR3 6PW.

History

Devoran Village Hall was originally constructed by the Redruth and Chasewater Railway Company as workshop to support their new steam railway.

Doubts exist however over the precise date of the initial construction.

The 2002 ‘Cornwall Industrial Settlements Initiative’ report for the Village suggests a date of 1854- presumably because this is the documented date of the conversion of the railway from horse- drawn to steam power.

View the full Historic Analysis report here.

 

Whilst the presence of granite sleeper blocks reputedly salvaged from the original horse-drawn railway in the fabric of the building provides a marker of 1854 there are no guarantees that the hall was built in the same year that the track was re-laid.

Published works by local historians suggest that the workshop was constructed just over a decade after the conversion to steam – once the Railway Company had recovered its outlay from relaying the tracks.

View the Archaeology Report here.

Conveyance records show the Workshop was purchased by the ‘Devoran Village Institute’ in October 1922, approximately two years after the documented dismantling of the railway and liquidation of the Redruth and Chasewater Railway Company.

A commemorative plaque found in the Hall today marks its formal opening in April 1924 by the then Lord Lieutenant.

View the Festival Facebook page here.

Click the Vimeo link to view our refurbishment video.